So, I bought this fabric over a year ago. A friend was having a baby girl and I wanted to make her something. That was before my quilting days where I usually just made blankets with a minky backing, bibs, burps, and a ball.Very cute, but, not a quilt. So, when I started quilting earlier this year – I quickly switched it to a quilting project. I had been eying circle quilts ever since my first quilt and I knew that I would try it on a baby quilt since it would be smaller and more manageable. And since I love circles I started researching how to piece and applique them. I was intrigued with the Dale Fleming six minute circle method and knew this would be one of the first I would try. It turned out to be pretty simple but longer than I wanted it to be. I had 48 circles so if it was really six minutes per circle that equals almost five hours not including any of the prep work. Anyway, I was happy with how it turned out.
The quilt is designed around the Alexander Henry “Very Berry” fabric and a couple of other coordinating Alexander Henry prints. Then I picked up a couple of coordinating fabrics from Joann’s – the black and the pink to complete the look. I am starting to realize that I like black in quilts. I guess I like the contrast. Plus the black print circles really drew out the black background in the “Very Berry” fabric and pulled the quilt together.
I quilted it in what I call a Loop de Loop pattern – don’t know what the official name is. It was fun and easy to do. I’ll definitely get better with this quilting thing over time. . .
The back is simple highlighting the “Very Berry” fabric with a strip going across the width of the quilt and another strip of the coordinating fabrics pieced with a circle in “Very Berry” thrown in.
I wanted the circles in the quilt to be very close together like the Michael Miller Disco Dot fabric – so of course the name of the quilt is Strawberry Disco Fields!
Let me know what you think!